Open daily 7:00 to 12:00 and 16:30 to 19:00, tel. 22810-82623
Saint Nicholas is the patron saint of Syros and protector of the seafarers. The church was built in 1848 and the construction works lasted until 1905. It is a three-aisled basilica church that stands majestic with its blue cupola and belfry, when the boat enters the harbor. Named “rich” to distinguish it from the “poor” St Nicholas of Ano Syros, who was the first Orthodox church on the island. Many donors contributed to the cost of the church, mainly shipowners from Chios island.
It has a magnificent facade with a marble pediment and portico with Ionic columns. Inside, it has arches on pillars, loft, interesting paintings, lintels with relief floral decoration, exquisite marble chancel screen and pulpit and bishop’s throne.