Open daily from 7:30 to 13:00 and 17:00 to 19:30, tel. 22810-82467
You will be redirected here from the left side of the City Hall, heading up the stepped path. This is one of the first neighborhoods of Syros and a walk in the area is really worthwhile.
The three-aisled basilica is the metropolis of Syros and, chronologically, the first temple of the island (1824). In its historical pebbled courtyard the refugees ‘christened’ the new city, naming it Hermoupolis.
Admire the interior of the marble columns and floor, the dome and the gallery. The paintings, with floral ornaments and stars, are made with soft colors. The impressive temple, which ends in a small dome, is halfway marble and from then on bagdati (thin wooden slats and plaster coating, on which decoration and painting is done). Observe also the Episcopal throne, the pulpit and the many icons.
Next to the church is the Ecclesiastical Museum with sacred utensils, books and manuscripts from all the islands of the metropolitan region (open daily from 10:00 to 13:00).