The Club “Hellas” (Cultural Center)

In the 1830s, the Hermoupolis’ traders founded clubs, following the standards of the English clubs. These clubs were operating as gathering places, information centers, informal stock exchange markets and for other social events. One of the oldest clubs was “Hermes”, founded in 1836, the Club of Chios, the Club of Hermoupolis’ residents and the Club “Hellas”. The latter was built between1862-1863 and was designed by the Italian architect P. Sampo. The halls, which hosted the various events and the ‘philosophical’ evenings, are adorned with exquisite frescoes, keeping the atmosphere of the era.